Furniture Mover / Navigator - Part-Time 4 Days - Oakland, CA
Contact: Uhuru Furniture & Collectibles, Store Manager 510-763-3342 x 3
Uhuru Furniture & Collectibles is hiring! This part-time position is for Friday 10 am - 6:30 pm, Saturday 9 am - 6:30 pm, Sunday 10 am - 6:30 pm and Monday 9 am - 1 pm. This person would be part of an amazing team, working on 2 days in the store, stacking the furniture safely and assisting customers in viewing the items and moving them out for pick up or delivery. This person would work 2 days on the truck moving furniture from donor's homes and packing safely on the truck and unloading. This is a great opportunity to be part of a 30 year old economic development institution of APEDF, build support for African self-determination in the community and develop your own skills and experience.
Summary of Duties and Qualifications:
- Sets up a furniture display and the store to ensure it is safe and attractive for customers and breaks down the furniture display at night to get everything in the store safely.
- When furniture arrives, this person would assist in determining where to put it in the store, measuring, lifting and stacking safely.
- This person would also move furniture out for customers to view or when it sells, help unload and load vehicles.
- This person would also assist customers with measuring, answering their questions and helping them find what they are looking for.
- Navigating assistance to the truck driver, coordinating phone communication, ensuring all policies are followed
- Loads and unloads truck safely and following all policies
Knowledge, Skills and Other Characteristics:
Agreement with the mission and policies of APEDF. Passionate about social justice and economic development in the African community.
Ability to lift 50 lbs. overhead repeatedly throughout the day. Ability to go up and down stairs while carrying weight.
Furniture moving experience or equivalent. Truck packing experience. Track record of reliable, punctual work attendance. Track record of professional demeanor. Clear communicator. The ideal candidate is someone who likes to keep busy.
This position could lead to full-time and / or more responsibilities and advancement. There is the possibility of tips and bonuses.
Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off at the store: 3742 Grand Ave., Oakland, CA 94610.
Uhuru Furniture & Collectibles has been providing high quality, low priced furniture and collectibles to the Bay Area for almost 30 years. We have been voted “Best of the East Bay” 8 years in a row! UFC is an economic development institution of the non-profit organization, the African People’s Education and Defense Fund (APEDF.org). All proceeds raised above our operating expenses go to support programs defending the civil and human rights of the African community and bridging the grave disparities faced by the Black community in health, healthcare, economic development and education. That’s why we say that Uhuru Furniture & Collectibles is driven by African self-determination! Uhuru Furniture & Collectibles has a website at uhurufurniture.blogspot.com.